The new Visma Ski Classics Challengers season starts already on 17th April 2021 with the first event being Fossavatnsgangan in Iceland.
Here is all you need to know about Visma Ski Classics Challengers.
What is Visma Ski Classics Challengers?
The Visma Ski Classics Pro Tour is limited to 13 events per season and has high demands on the TV production of each event. The Visma Ski Classics Challengers series, which was introduced in season 2019/20, gives the opportunity to an unlimited number of events to be part of the Visma Ski Classics family.
Who can be a Challengers event?
The minimum distance for a Challengers event is 30km and can be done in loops or from one point to the other. The race can be hosted in classic or free technique, in cross country skiing or roller skiing.
Are Challengers results included in the Ski Classics Ranking?
Challengers results will be calculated in the Ski Classics Ranking. The ranking is deciding the start positions at Pro Tour events and also shows the athlete's comparable level. The ranking is open to all athletes of all levels, including recreational skiers. Each participant can create an account and login to MyPages to view their SC ranking, event results, collect digital event pins, diplomas and compare their ranking with friends etc.
Do Challengers events influence Pro Tour competitions?
Pro Team registered athletes can collect points for the Ski Classics Champion and Youth competitions in respective gender. Pro Team athletes can count their highest points from a Challengers event in each season.
What is the benefit of becoming a Challengers event?
All the Challengers events are presented on www.vismaskiclassics.com to promote the events. Live streams and highlights are published in Visma Ski Classics channels. Visma Ski Classics content managers post news and information from the Challengers events. International Pro Team athletes will participate to count their best result to the overall competition. Recreational and professional participants join in as many Challengers events as possible to improve their SC ranking and therewith their start positions at Pro Tour events.
How do events become Challengers events?
To be a Challengers event is free of charge. Production costs for branding material may apply. All events part of the Challengers series sign a license agreement. Applications can be sent to email@example.com.
Visma Ski Classics Challengers events season 2021/22 – Date confirmed
- Fossavatnsgangan, Iceland – 17th April 2021
- To be released next week, Sweden – 5th June 2021
- To be released soon, Norway – 20th June 2021
- Alliansloppet, Sweden – 28th August 2021
- Salzburg-rollt, Austria – 29th August 2021
- To be released soon, Sweden – 4th September 2021
- Lake Saimaa Roller Ski Marathon, Finland – 11th and 12th September 2021
- Klarälvsloppet, Sweden – 19th September 2021
- Dolomitenlauf, Austria – 23rd January 2022
- König Ludwig Lauf, Germany – 6th February 2022
- La Transjurassienne, France – 13th February 2022
- La Savoyarde Caisse d’Épargne, France – 13th March 2022
- Trysil Skimaraton, Norway – 19th February 2022
- Lapponia Ski Week, Finland – 4th to 8th April 2022
- Blåvegenløpet, Norway – 9th April 2022
Visma Ski Classics Challengers events season 2021/22 – Date to be confirmed
- Alutaguse Marathon, Estonia
- American Birkebeiner, USA
- Arctic Cirlce Race, Greenland
- Åsarna Ski Marathon, Sweden
- BCC Hålogalandsløpet, Norway
- Bessemerloppet, Sweden
- Craft Ski Marathon, Sweden
- Elitsport Östersund Ski Marathon, Sweden
- Flyktningerennet, Norway
- Furusjøen Rundt-rennet, Norway
- Ganghoferlauf Classic and Skating, Austria
- Gautefallrennet 60K, Norway
- Latloppet, Latvia
- La Venosta Open, Italy
- Les Belles Combes, France
- Novosibirsk Classic Marathon, Russia
- Taivalkoski Ski Maraton, Finland
- Trysil-Knut rennet, Norway
- Vasaloppet China, China
A current list of Visma Ski Classics Challengers events can be found on vismaskiclassics.com. The list is continuously updated as event dates are confirmed.