Team Næringsbanken Stora Enso has announced that Thomas Maloney Westgaard, World Cup and World Championships skier from Ireland, is joining the Pro Team for the remaining Ski Classics Season XIV events.
A new athlete strengthens Team Næringsbanken Stora Enso’s squad on the men’s side with promising Thomas Maloney Westgaard, the first Irish athlete to join a Pro Tour Team. The 27-year-old Westgaard reinforces the team for all three remaining competitions in Season XIV.
Thomas was born and grew up in Norway to a Norwegian father and an Irish mother. He started representing Ireland internationally in 2016, debuting at the World Cup in Lillehammer in the same year.
Westgaard raced in four World Championships so far, 2017, 2019, 2021, and 2023, with his best result being 18th place at the 50km mass start race in Planica, Slovenia, just a few weeks ago. He also competed at two Winter Olympic Games, 2018 and 2022, with 14th place in the 15km race in China as his best result.
“We have signed Thomas Maloney Westgaard, and we are very pleased that he has chosen Team Næringsbanken Stora Enso,” says Pro Team Director Arnt Nyborg and continues:
“Thomas is a high-level international athlete, with a 14th place at the 2022 Winter Olympics and an 18th place at the 50km in the World Championships last weekend.”
Another solid name in the traditional cross-country skiing will represent Team Næringsbanken Stora Enso for the remaining Pro Tour events of the season: Andrew Musgrave, who a few moments ago was the best non-Norwegian athlete at the Holmenkollen World Cup 50km race with an 11th place.
“Andrew Musgrave will also represent us in the last three races (of Season XIV). It will be interesting to see Thomas and Muzzy (Andrew Musgrave).”
Next up is Birkebeinerrennet on Saturday, March 18. The race marks the twelfth Ski Classics event and the fourth Grand Classics Season XIV.
The Season XIV of Ski Classics Pro Tour consists of 14 events on 10 event weekends in 6 different countries.
Ski Classics Pro Tour Season XIV (2022/2023)
- Event 1: December 10, 2022 – Bad Gastein PTT, Bad Gastein, Austria, 15km
- Event 2: December 11, 2022 – Bad Gastein Criterium, Bad Gastein, Austria, 35km
- Event 3: December 17, 2022 – La Venosta Criterium, Val Venosta, Italy, 36km
- Event 4: January 14, 2023 – Pustertaler Ski Marathon, Sexten, Italy, 62km
- Event 5: January 15, 2023 – Prato Piazza Mountain Challenge, Niederdorf, Italy, 32km
- Event 6: January 21, 2023 – Engadin La Diagonela, Engadin Valley, Switzerland, 48km
- Event 7: January 29, 2023 – Marcialonga, Trentino, Italy, 70km
- Event 8: February 12, 2023 – Jizerská50, Bedřichov, Czech Republic, 50km
- Event 9: February 18, 2023 – Grönklitt Criterium, Orsa Grönklitt, Sweden, 50km
- Event 10: February 19, 2023 – Grönklitt ITT, Orsa Grönklitt, Sweden, 15km
- Event 11: March 5, 2023 – Vasaloppet, Sälen-Mora, Sweden, 90km
- Event 12: March 18, 2023 – Birkebeinerrennet, Rena-Lillehammer, Norway, 54km
- Event 13: April 1, 2023 – Reistadløpet, Setermoen-Bardufoss, Norway, 40km
- Event 14: April 2, 2023 – Summit 2 Senja, Bardufoss- Finnsnes, Norway, 67km
More information about the Ski Classics Pro Tour you can find at skiclassics.com.
As a member of ProXCskiing.com, you get full access to all content on the site and live streaming of Ski Classics Pro Tour events with English commentaries.
When you become part of one of the world’s leading XC ski communities, you will receive many exclusive offers all year round.
Register HERE as a Member.
Photo: Patrick Steiner/Bildbyrån