The Pro Team athletes in Ski Classics compete during a season to win events and the five color bibs. The lumberjack patterned climb bib goes to the best uphill skier, collecting the most points at the climb checkpoints. The new Iconic Climbs category gives an extra dimension and more points to the winner of the most challenging climbs in Ski Classics. Here is an introduction to this new addition to Season XIV.
The idea for the new Iconic Climb category is that all climbs differ; some are tougher, and some have some may have more history behind them. Ski Classics wants to enhance the interest around the climbs and reward the strongest athletes slightly more.
The Iconic Climb points give 50%more points than a Category 1 Climb, 45 points instead of 30 points in the Climb competition.
For Season XIV, there will be four Iconic Climbs, two in the Alps part of the tour and two in Scandinavia.
The Iconic Climbs Season XIV
- Name: Prato Piazza
- Event: Prato Piazza Mountain Challenge – Ski Classics Event 5
- Date: January 15, 2023
- Climb: Start is at 1140m above sea level, masl. Skiers will gradually enter the higher altitude during the first 21 kilometers up to 1460masl, where the last uphill to Prato Piazza starts. Skiers will then enter a 6-kilometer continuous climb, finishing at 2000masl before arriving at the plateau of Prato Piazza, where the finish is located. The Iconic Climb points are handed out according to the points table to the best finishers at Prato Piazza.
- Name: Cascata
- Event: Marcialonga – Ski Classics Event 7
- Date: January 29, 2023
- Climb: The famous and notorious Cascata, from 830 to 990m above sea level, is “only” 2 kilometers long, but the fact that skiers have already done 68km before the climb to Cavalese starts makes it one of the most challenging and hence Iconic!
- Name: Raudfjellet
- Event: Birkebeinerrennet – Ski Classics Event 12
- Date: March 18, 2023
- Climb: Raudfjellet, from 300 to 880m above sea level, the climb is 19 kilometers long from the start in Rena. It is not the steepest climb, but it is often very high-paced already from the start, and hence the climb is located on top of a mountain also gives another dimension, the wind, and of course, when passing the climb line, the splendid view of Norway!
- Name: Orta
- Event: Reistadløpet – Ski Classics Event 13
- Date: April 1, 2023
- Climb: After about 10km from the start, the course passes the sprint, then when skiers look up in front of them, there is a mountain wall to be climbed to Orta, from 136 to 575m above sea level, 6 kilometers long, with many very steep sections and short flats in between. The iconic Orta climb is the main reason Reistadløpet has never been won without kick wax.
Read More: Ski Classics Pro Tour Season XIV