Visma Ski Classics always strives to develop the Pro Tour, Challengers series and the sport itself. Based on the feedback received from Pro Teams, events, fans and public, Visma Ski Classics review and update the rules for the upcoming season. Today we present the changes for Season XI.
For season XI, these changes have been made:
• It is now mandatory for Pro Teams to have at least two athletes of each gender registered in their team for a gender-equal sport.
• In the Pro Team Competition, 50% of the youth points received by the best female and male skier is calculated. Encouraging Pro Teams to recruit strong youth athletes of both genders.
• The four iconic events, Marcialonga, Jizerská 50, Vasaloppet and Birkebeinerrennet have received an elevated status in the Pro Tour as Grand Classics events. In Grand Classics events the winners receive 300 points, compared to 200 points in other Pro Tour events. If an athlete wins all four Grand Classics events in one season, the athlete completes a Grand Slam and receives an additional prize money check, the amount is yet to be revealed.
• SC Ranking is now based on the athletes’ top 15 event results the last 24 months
– Instead of top 20 event results.
Season XI starts with La Diagonela in the Engadin valley, Switzerland, January 16th.