When we now have entered september, it is time to bid adieu to this summer, but it certainly gave us great energy and boost for the looming Visma Ski Classics season. Very soon we will be hopping on our skis and enjoying the magic of winter.
Before we let us be spellbound by the excitement of the upcoming long distance ski season, we should find out what the King of the game managed to do in the midst of this beautiful summer.
Let's go back to this summer one more time and give center stage to the current Champion Tord Asle Gjerdalen, Team Ragde Egendom (former Team Santander) as he reveals what makes him tick when it comes to training and enjoying the long days of summer.
1. What is your favorite summer training workout and why?
"I love a long roller skiing workout on a hot summer day. It's almost better than skiing in the wintertime."
2. What are your key summer training principles?
"My key principle is finding time for both my family and my training. I have active kids, and they take up a lot of my time. So, there's daddy time and training time."
3. How about roller-ski races?
"Yes, I do some races, but it's hard to find time. I think they serve their purpose as hard and intensive trainings. But the winter season is the main focus and we already spend some many weekends away from home."
4. What is your opinion about the new skating race, Engadin Skimarathon, since you have been an advocate for skating races in VSC?
"I welcome the new race this winter. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a bit nervous about it as well. I used to be better at skating than classic before, but I haven't been training skating for the past three years. So, we'll see how it goes!"
5. What training tips would you give to amateur skiers who want to do well in the VSC next winter?
"Go out there and train. It gets better after every workout."
6. Besides training, how did you spend your summer?
"I mostly stayed in my home country and spend a lot of time playing in the water by the sea."
7. What is the coolest thing about summer and then the worst?
"The coolest is waterskiing, and I don't like rainy days."
Written by: Teemu Virtanen
Photo: Magnus Östh